The Quest for 1000 Begins

I am a 61-year-old disc golfer who has been playing tournaments for 13 years now. Since discovering disc golf tournament play back in 2008, the game has woven itself into the very fabric of my life. Over the years, I have honed my skills, traversed countless courses, and savored every moment of this exhilarating sport. My rating over the last 5 years has reached as high as 935 when I was dedicated to practicing, and as low as 913 when I fell off on my practice routines. I have won major tournaments such as the Glass Blown Open and the Memorial, and have been a perennial top-10 finisher at Worlds. But I want to strive for more. I want to become a 1000 rated golfer.

As I travel with my friends, we often discuss whether it's possible for us to become 1000 rated golfers at our age. A 1000 rating is akin to a goal like a sub-four-minute mile and seems like a game for the young. Although we believe it is out of our reach, I have decided to see whether adding focus and structure to my daily regimen on health and disc golf practice can help me obtain this elusive goal. With a current rating of 919, the journey to becoming a 1000 rated disc golfer presents a significant challenge, but it is one that I am eager to embrace.

To move toward this goal, I am going to have to work really hard. Based on my 2023 play, I will need to shave 10 strokes off my average round scores. It won't be an easy feat, but I am committed to pushing my limits and stretching the boundaries of my abilities. I also understand that our rating is based on the last year of tournaments, so it's going to take a long time to eliminate the lower rounds and replace them with higher rounds to increase my rating. Therefore, I will focus on the leading indicators like my practice sessions and most recent tournaments, rather than fixating solely on the rating itself.

To achieve this aspiration, I am starting to create a comprehensive plan to improve myself:

  1. Strength Training: Being strong and fit is essential for any sport. I will add exercises to strengthen my core, arms, and legs to enhance my overall fitness, which will hopefully result in more distance, balance, and improved performance on the course.
  2. Focus on Diet: To be healthy, I need to be more mindful of what I eat. I have already cut out alcohol earlier in the year, but I need to evaluate my dietary choices. I want to create a balanced and nutritious diet to fuel my body and improve endurance. One goal is to get back to a weight below 200 pounds, closer to the weight I was at when I played volleyball in my younger days.
  3. Lots of Field Practice: During Covid, my field practice fell off, and this affected my consistency and distance. There is no substitute for practice. I intend to spend several days on the field in focused practice sessions. Initially, I will refocus on form and throwing consistent shots. As time goes on, I will experiment with different discs and shots. This will include driving, upshot, and putting sessions throughout the week.
  4. Improving Consistency: The hallmark of a skilled player lies in consistency. To bridge the gap between my current rating and the elusive 1000, I must focus on maintaining a consistent level of play. This involves refining my mental game, honing my concentration, and remaining composed in high-pressure situations.
  5. Eliminating Rounds Below 900: An objective assessment of my performance in 2023 has revealed a glaring obstacle – rounds below the 900 mark. These must go and show my overall inconsistency. After each round, I will write notes about the factors that contribute to subpar rounds and update my practice sessions and round strategy to eliminate these issues.

As I embark on this journey towards a 1000 rating, I recognize that it won't be just about the final destination. The path I tread will be lined with self-discovery, personal growth, and the sheer joy of challenging myself in a sport I love. And even if I fall short of the ultimate goal, I am confident that the pursuit itself will mold me into a better player and person.

So, join me on this journey of self-inspection and improvement. I hope to learn more about myself as we go, and I aim to share the lessons I learn with those who stumble upon this blog. I invite you to join me in this adventure as I navigate the highs and lows, striving for excellence on the disc golf course. Together, we will witness the effect of setting a goal and building the habits to try to reach it. My name is Marcus Erickson PDGA # 32084 linvg in Houston, Texas.


Comments